Friday, June 14, 2013

I'm a Sexagenarian


I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and I'm almost halfway through being a sexagenarian, 64, to be exact. Sexagenarian, sounds rather sexy, but the Sixties are not for Sissies.


Age is just a number, mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.   

It’s stay at home night with hubby, chips and a choc.  Its not good for our cholesterol, but we need a treat. Last Friday night we went to the Lido Hotel Fleamarket evening (genuine) and ended up learning to do line dancing.   After the lessons we danced to a band and they announced a competition for the best couple to win a Father’s Day meal – we won it, not that there were many others dancing.  


3 Months ago I was laid off from my temp assignment Personal Assistant job at a financial institution after 2.5 years.   I was confident I would get another quick, but it was not to be.   Probably partly due to my age I’m ‘past my sell-by-date’ and partly because of transformation in the workplace. Initially, I started getting withdrawal symptoms, because I had been in the work place for well over 46 years.    One doesn’t realise what a routine does for you, rather than aimlessly doing a bit of this and a bit of that, it keeps you focused on one thing.    Then I realised I had become so accustomed to being in the ‘work box’ I didn’t know how to function outside of it.   Gradually it dawned upon me that there is life outside of the main stream world.   Of course, we need the extra income and I would take on another assignment if it came my way, but for now the enjoyment of thinking ‘outside of the box’ has me waking up every morning excited and raring to go (where, still to be discovered).

Tomorrow the Lion's Club has invited the community to a fun-filled, educational afternoon, planting and teaching people how to grow vegetables in a very small space.   Known as eco-circles, planting is done in such a way that it is easy to maintain, uses little water and produces a fine crop that can feed and sustain an entire family. 

I have never had green fingers, but hopefully I will learn something myself and make a small contribution.   

I'm excited !

No comments:

Post a Comment